Another jumpstart this one covers Lync 2010
Another jumpstart this one covers Lync 2010
Here are links to some things that I have found useful and I want to place a reminder here so I can find them again.
Microsoft Press Free Ebooks via Microsoft Press Blog
I recently attended this online event, it ran over two days. It was presented by Corey Hynes and Rick Claus.
These are the links to the videos on the Technet Edge website. Well worth a look if you want to get up to speed on Windows Server 2012.
Unable to attend Tech Ed this year, here is the a link for the sessions from the North America Tech Ed.
You want to see Tech Ed Europe sessions then go to
Recently I had to replace the machine that I was using as a VMM Library server. The original library machine was running Windows Server 2008 and I was replacing it with a machine running Windows Server 2008 R2 with the same name.
I removed the SCVMM agent from the old machine before decommissioning it. A few hours after turning off the old machine I installed the SCVMM agent on the new machine.
I tested ISO sharing through the VMM console and it was working fine. All seemed to be ok, until I tried to mount an ISO through the Self Service Portal.
I was getting the error “CannotAttachISO (11443) – Cannot attache the specified ISO to the virtual machine because user role <User Role Name> assoicated with the virtual machine does not have access to the ISO. Contact your VMM administrator to add the library share path for the ISO to user role <User Role Name> or specify a different ISO and then try the operation again.”
It was not clear to me what was happening, so in the VMM administrator console I checked out the Self Service Policy in question. I was not able to see anything wrong with the policy but when I tried to mount an ISO again it worked fine.
After further checking I was getting this on multiple Self Service Policies and all I had to do was open the policy in the VMM console and click ok. All the policies started working after that.
I recently added a Windows Server 2008 R2 cluster to System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 (SCOM) and after a while it was not showing up in SCOM.
I had left it a while in case it took a while for a discovery to run for the cluster before it is added. It became clear that it was not going to be added.
The nodes of the cluster were listed under the Cluster Service State but I noticed that under the Proxy Enabled column that for each of the nodes in the cluster that was not turning up the value was False. I then remembered that proxying needs to be enabled for all nodes in the cluster.
After enabling the proxying on each of the nodes in the cluster and doing something else for an hour everything was working when I checked again.
I installed the newly released Cumulative Update 1 for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2, I followed instructions from Kevin Holman’s blog which were very thorough and quiet helpful.
I copied the update to the server and extracted the update to the default location. When the update extraction completes a splash screen is displayed.
I had to close this off as I had to log out to let my SQL admin to login and do SQL database backups. When I tried to restart the splash screen by clicking on SetupUpdateOM.exe in the KB974144. I got the help screen below which is not I wanted.
I then tried running the KB974144-x64.msp to see if that would bring up the splash screen, but then the install seemed to start. After checking it looked like it updated all the files to the right version.
I then got the SQL Admin to run the SQL update to the Operations Manager database, but it seemed to run quiet quickly. I then imported the management pack. At this point I waited a while to see if any agents turned up under the Pending Management. After about an hour there was no sign of the agents turning up saying that they need to be updated, it turns out I missed that the patch files for the agents had not been copied into place under the AgentManagement folder.
At this point, I decided it was time to start again, I ran the extraction again and I was offered the choice to repair or remove the update package. I choose to do a repair and at the end the splash screen appeared again. I ran the “Run Server Update”. I checked the AgentManagement folder and this time the patch for the agents was in place.
I got the SQL update run again and this time it took about 16 or 17 seconds to run. I was unable to import the management pack again as it was already imported. I went for lunch and when I came back all the agents were under Pending Management. At this stage I went and upgraded some of the management consoles on workstations and the web console.
I then tested that reporting was still working and some other tests to make sure everything was ok. I then pushed out the agents to all the machines. It took me a while to figure where I could verify the patchlist on the agents. I eventually found that I had the add the Patchlist column to the Agent state View under Agent in the Operations Manager management pack. The version number of the agent does not change and when the patchlist column is added you can verify that the agents have been updated with the cumulative update.
If you follow Kevin’s instructions you should not stray into trouble, I strayed a little but got there in the end. I would say don’t close the splash screen and all should be fine and I am sure that there is a way to get splash screen up but the repair did it for me. The update so far seems to have resolved some issues I was having but time will tell whether it has resolved all my issues but so far so good.